Monday 10 September 2012

Exploring Dubai

I didn't think it was possible - and I've been told by many locals that it doesn't happen often - but today was actually overcast!!  No chance of rain, absolutely none, but there was a fairly decent cloud cover all day.  The down side is that the photos from today aren't nearly as "bright" as previous ones have been, but the plus side, and it was a definite plus, was that I was actually able to be outside for most of the day today --- so I took advantage of it!

Now don't get me wrong, cloudy or overcast here in no way shape or form means any cooler - it was still hot, hot, hot, but at least without the burning sun I could spend longer outside than I have before.

There's a "hop on / hop off" bus here - same as in many other cities, that runs two different routes; one focussing more on what I'll call "old Dubai" and the other on more of the new and modern development.  Simply to do these two bus routes took 4 hours --- that might give you a scope of just how big Dubai is and how much there is to see!

Hopefully the attached photos will give you an indication of Dubai - some parts of which have been widely publicized and some of which I hope reflect more of the city itself.

Dubai has one of the highest water consumption rates of anywhere in the world and given that it really is built on a desert it's surprising how much green there is.

I also thought the fully enclosed, air conditioned, bus shelters were great!!
















No comments:

Post a Comment