Saturday 8 September 2012

Exploring the city

I took a deep breath and decided to bare the heat a little bit (a very little bit I might add) and try and explore Doha a little bit yesterday.

Now I have to admit to doing some of it in a car with my friend driving, but I did get out and wander around a few locations as well.

One of the places I liked the best was Souq Waqif!  You could find absolutely anything under the sun to buy there!!  There were some very narrow, little alleyways that were surprisingly cool to be in, and then also some wide open spaces that, in the middle of the day, were less than comfortable.  But despite the heat I did manage to spend a couple of hours there.  I now can't wait to go to another souq (hopefully) somewhere else in my travels.

The other thing I did last night was walk along an area here in Doha called The Corniche.  It's a boardwalk/park that's been set up, running for about 7 kms or so along the bay.  It is an absolutely beautiful place - and if I do ever get the chance to come back here again I will definitely come when it is a bit cooler.  You absolutely can't walk along the Corniche during the day right now - but walking it at night gave me a good glimpse into Qatari life.  Despite the fact the temperatures are still in the high 30's (and sometimes low 40's) even at night, people were out and about all over the Corniche; walking, running (can you believe it) and picnicing.





Time to go and pack now as I'm off to the United Arab Emarites later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment