Tuesday 11 September 2012

Dubai Creek cruise

I've just come back from an hour long cruise of the Dubai Creek - and it was amazing!!!  The Dubai Creek was, originally, not much more than a 'creek', but it now extends for 14 kms and there is a 12 kms expansion underway.  (For any of you who have been to Dubai, the planned expansion will bring the "creek" in a complete semi-circle and back out to the Arabian Gulf again at the far end of Jumeirah Beach.

Dubai Creek essentially divides the city of Dubai in half, and so crossing over, or under, or across, the creek frequently is a part of daily life.  There are five bridges and one (maybe two?) tunnels for vehicular traffic, but my far the cheapest and most commonly used method for pedestrians are the little water taxis that cross from one side to the other for a cost of 1 or 2  Dirham (about 30 - 60 cents).

Dubai Creek is quite busy with boat traffic as traditional dhows are still used to transport goods to Dubai.  Whereas in the past it was primarily fish and textiles that were transported by dhow, now absolutely everything - any/all foods, electronics, appliances, cars, ... and name it, it might come on a dhow!

I do wish the cruise had been longer - but after more than an hour outside I was more than glad to get inside and cool down a bit.






2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing blog so far. It should be published as a travel book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment - although I'm not sure I would take it quite that far. I am glad to know you're finding it interesting though. I'm enjoying doing it, even if just for myself, but it is fun to share it with others.

    ReplyDelete