Monday 11 October 2021

Pandemic response - Week 83 - Day of Waterfalls

The Nor’Wester Mountains are just outside Thunder Bay and I drove past them on my way to Kakabeka Falls.


Kakabeka Falls is on the Kaministiquia River.  The falls have a drop of 40 metres cascading into a deep gorge.  Kakabeka Falls has been nicknamed “the Niagara of the North”.  The name ‘Kakabeka’ comes from the Ojibwe word gakaabikaa “waterfall over a cliff”. 















Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park surrounds the falls and extends along the Kaministiquia River.


Little Falls, along one of the hiking trails.






Along the Kaministiquia River




















Cascades Conservation Area offers a variety of trails and the opportunity to explore the rushing rapids of the Current River.























My encounter with wildlife today.  Given that I’m solidly in bear country I’m very happy this little squirrel was all I saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment