Sunday 18 October 2020

Pandemic response - Week 31

I think this was the first Thanksgiving I’ve ever spent completely alone and although I have lovely friends here, and a local restaurant supplied a delicious turkey dinner, I’d be lying if I said being alone didn’t matter.  Definitely a side-effect of this pandemic that is unique to single people who don’t have family members in ‘their bubble’.  Enough of these doldrums though, despite COVID-19 there is still lots to be thankful for, and I got here just in time tonight to see one example:



As they were in Toronto, the fall colours are just lovely in this part of the province as well.

My street - now full of fall colours









Look - now that the boats and people are leaving my Canada geese friends are back!

Clouds coming in...while this boat is just heading out

Clan Gregor Square, the village’s main park, is awash with colour








Autumn on the beach




Despite the clouds, with this being the Thanksgiving weekend I had to venture into the water.  It’s said that a true Canadian always goes swimming on the holiday weekend in May and then again on Thanksgiving weekend, to sort of start and end the summer/swimming season.  Growing up, that was always a part of our family tradition — now I’m older and smarter but this Thanksgiving the weather cooperated and although it was quick, I was in and out! Overall it has been a nice warm fall and the water has still maintained some of it’s heat...unlike in May when sometimes the ice has barely left!  If you look back at Week 11 you’ll see my feet in the water then too, in May...and the water was a heck of a lot colder!


Bigger wave - and my pants are now thoroughly soaked!

Sunrise - looking east instead of west for the sunset.  It occurred to me that I post lots of photos of the view from my front lawn - overlooking the lake - but the view of my backyard is not bad either, especially on a beautiful, sunny day!

A close up of my neighbour’s beautiful tree

Since a few cloudy, and possibly rainy, days are in the forecast for the next little while, I took advantage of the sun today and went for a drive in the local countryside to check out the fall colours there.










And a walk down by the Bayfield River was also pretty special for the colours!



I don’t think this one saw a lot of use this year.

Although fishing is still incredibly popular in the river, these old fish drying racks from almost one hundred years ago, which can be found along the trail, are not in use any longer.





Time on the beach with a good book is never time wasted!



Do you think maybe they’ve been here for a while?










It was a cold, windy day today but despite that this surfer was still out.  No shortage of waves that’s for sure!

More and more boats being put away for the season





Every single leaf of this young tree is a brilliant fall colour!

The red, yellow and orange of Canada’s fall - all together


Storm coming in - no sunset tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment