Thursday 14 February 2013

Now on the East Coast

Yesterday was a travel day for me - from Canberra east and a bit south over to the coast, and then south along the coast to Narooma where I am now.  This part of the state of New South Wales is known as the south coast... if you're looking at a map it's the area that stretches from roughly Bateman's Bay in the north, south to around Bermagui.

The name "Narooma" is said to be derived from the Aboriginal word meaning 'clear blue waters' - and that is certainly correct!!

The township was first surveyed at Narooma in 1883 and it was declared a port in 1884 (although it isn't a working port any longer).
I'll tell you a bit more about the history of the town and area in future posts, as I explore the area a bit more, but for now I thought you might just like to see some photos of the place I'm calling 'home' for the next week.

The island you can see in the background is called Montague Island - and hopefully, if weather permits, I'll have lots more, closer, photos of it over the next few days.


This very narrow waterway is Wagonga Head which leads the way for boats from the Tasman Sea into Wagonga Inlet, and the little town of Narooma is built both along the sea and the inlet.  The inlet is much more protected and as such is quite a popular swimming area - as well as the beautiful beaches along the sea.



Harold Buckeridge Lookout is a great spot to get a really good overview of Narooma.



Today I went to work with my friend who works at a school in a little community called Broulee which is about 60 kms north of Narooma, and still right on the coast.  Although the school itself is inland, less than a 5 minute walk from the school brings you out to this beautiful scenery.  This is Broulee Beach looking north:


and looking south.


And from up on a headland looking out over the entire bay.  



At the end of the day I went on a little hunt through the playground ... for parrots!  Aren't these beautiful birds.  This one is a Rainbow Lorikeet, which can be commonly found along the eastern seaboard of Australia.



And since it's been a while since I've posted a photo with me in it, here's one just to reassure everyone that it is still me working on this blog - and as you can see, I'm obviously doing great!


No comments:

Post a Comment