Friday 15 February 2013

Loving the wildlife

My plan for today got aborted shortly after it began because I had a traveller's catastrophe happen this morning!  I was going to go for a walk along the coast from north of Narooma into the town, but I only got about 500m into the walk when I discovered my camera battery was totally dead!! 😩
Rather than continue I decided to go back home and charge the battery - and hopefully I'll have a chance to do the walk on another day before I leave.  It turns out that my dead battery also saved me from getting very, very wet as not long after I left the trail the rain began, and although not torrential rain I would have been very, very wet!

I waited out the rain back indoors and then this afternoon, instead of doing the coast walk (because I didn't have quite enough time now),  I went for a walk around Wagonga Inlet instead.

I began by walking out to the end of the north breakwall of Wagonga Head - and this photo is looking at the south breakwall and out towards Montague Island.


And now looking over Wagonga Inlet from another angle.  The buoy line you can see is actually a shark net that stretches from the beach to the north breakwall... and although it certainly doesn't happen frequently, it is possible for a shark to come in through the breakwalls.


As you can see on the left side of this photo, a portion of the trail is actually a boardwalk.  The Mill Bay Boardwalk runs for about 850 m alongside the water and it is a great place to really enjoy the beauty of the area.


The Narooma bridge was the first major bridge constructed on the Princes Highway (the main highway along the coast in New South Wales) as part of the state's efforts to develop the highway.  The bridge was built between 1929 and 1931 and crosses the Wagonga Inlet.  The bridge has three spans and is made of steel and concrete. It is one of two bascule span bridges of its type remaining in New South Wales.


On the south side of the inlet now and looking south along the coast and out into the Tasman Sea.


A perfect Australia-shaped hole naturally carved out of rocks over millions of years makes Australia Rock a spectacular photo opportunity.  It is located on the rocky beach close to the south breakwall -- and it really does look like Australia carved the rock!




Although all this was beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed the walk, the highlight of the day for me today was the wildlife - the seals that came into the inlet and were just swimming around and lying about on the rocks of the breakwalls.
I saw three different seals today, at different places along the walk but all of them were exceptionally cute - out enjoying a swim and then relaxing afterwards.







I don't know enough, yet, to tell you anything about the seals but perhaps, weather permitting, after tomorrow I'll know a bit more...

No comments:

Post a Comment