Monday 11 February 2013

A special post for War Aircraft lovers

I had a little bit of time today that I didn't expect to have, and knowing that there are a couple of people following my blog who are a bit interested in aircraft, I decided to go back to the War Memorial for a little while and try and take some pictures of some of the planes they have on display there.  Taking photos wasn't easy - firstly the rooms they are in are on the darker side so I had to use my flash all the time ... which of course gives a very artificial light.  And as you know, aircraft are big which means you need to be a certain distance away in order to get the whole plane in the shot - and being that these planes are in a museum I often couldn't get far enough back.  But all excuses aside, the Australian War Memorial really does have a fabulous collection and this is just a sampling of what they have...  but it may give you an idea of just how large the whole memorial really is.

I'm not going to give you and stats or information about the planes other than their names.  The people I'm specifically thinking of who might like these photos already know all the specifications anyway - and everyone else can just look at them and enjoy (I hope).

And if I've mixed up any of the photos and the names, or mis-named any, please let me know.  I know some of you will be far more knowledgeable than I!!

1)  Japanese Zero



2)  Kittyhawk (Curtiss P-40E Kittyhawk A29-133, "Polly")


3)  Hawker Sea Fury F.B. 11


4)  North American P-51 D Mustang, A68-648


5)  De Havilland PR Mk 41Mosquito, A52-319


6)  Lancaster bomber


One of the first Lancaster bombers delivered to 460 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) was given the letter "G" and so was called "G for George".  It flew it's first operation in December 1942 and during the next 18 months flew nearly 90 missions.  Its survival against the odds made it famous.

7)  Messerschmitt Bf 109


8)  German Albatross


9)  Royal Aircraft Factory SE5a


10)  Airco DH.9 (also known as the de Havilland DH.9)


11)  Avro 504K

2 comments:

  1. thanks so much for these, Cher. I love your subtle references to a certain boy's knowledge of aircraft. Just signed up for classes with Sam and Underhill at the reunion. (just to make you jealous!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you picked up on the reference --- and hope he enjoyed some of the photos. And I am jealous about the classes - make sure you say "hi" from me!

      Delete