Sunday 10 January 2021

Pandemic response - Week 42

Week 42 - the first full week of January...and in another 10 weeks it will have been a full year since this all began.  Ontario is continuing with it’s lockdown and this was the first week of remote learning for schools...and I say first week because this week it was announced that students will continue with remote learning for at least two more weeks.

It was a relatively warm week (for January) and we saw the sun a little bit which was really nice.

Can you find my little friends here among the rocks?
Every time I’ve been down to the beach this week I’ve seen them, scurrying about all over the place.
My little crayfish friends.

It’s just a storm drain, but I love how green the grass is in them, and it’s just mild enough that the water in them isn’t freezing.

More experimenting with my camera - on another very grey day.


I missed this couple when I was walking last week.


Even on the grey days I love how white the snow looks, and stays here (as opposed to being in the city where it gets very dirty!)

Can you see it on the horizon...the stretch of calm weather/water days has allowed the fishing boats to get back out again.  Although the ‘Ciscoette’ is closed up for the season, ‘Last Time’ brought in a catch today. 

All ready for winter...

I wonder who caught more today, “Last Time” or the individuals on the pier?

I will never understand why some people put some things where they do...but a benefit of this year is that I get to see it.

Another young lady I encountered while walking.

It was an ‘exciting’ day today - I went to Goderich to pick up my groceries!  While I was there I went down to the waterfront area there.




If you ask me, I think that would be pretty cold on the belly.

The Port of Goderich is the only deep water port on the east shore of Lake Huron.  Servicing regional mining, manufacturing and agricultural industries, the Port is an important hub in commercial shipping in southwestern Ontario. Approximately 250 ships dock within the Port of Goderich annually, loading and delivering commodities such as salt, grain and calcium chloride.



I was thinking I would walk out to the end of the pier here too but the current, VERY HIGH water levels made that impossible!




Can you tell where the Maitland River flows into Lake Huron?

In August 2011, an F3 category tornado struck Goderich.  It swept up from the lake at the Sifto Salt Mine in the harbour, and crossed through the centre of town, attaining speeds of 320 km/hr.  The loss to Goderich and surrounding area was the greatest within living memory.  This memorial is at the spot where the tornado hit at the top of the bank. “Nature Giveth...and Nature Taketh Away”

It was the first really cold overnight last night and day today, and for the first time you could see the ice just starting to form upstream on the Bayfield River.  It’s a very thin layer though, and forecast warmer temperatures for the next few days means it will be gone again.





Making their way down to the water.




The closer to the lake, the thinner and more broken up the ice.  And then of course none where the fishing boats come in to dock.

All packed up for the winter.

Ice crystals and cups forming on the beach but no ice on the lake at all yet.




There was the start of a sunset before the clouds on the horizon took over.

I went back to Goderich again at the end of the week to go for a walk there (more on it in a separate post) and I was lucky enough to be there at the right time to see one of the freighters being assisted into port with the aid of a little tug boat.





And when done, the little tug boat sped away.

And look what charged into the harbour while this was happening


In fact a few of them are here now - in the deeper harbour where they can work for longer before the water freezes.


The end of the day, and nearly the end of Week 42

A very Canadian Christmas decoration!


And a bit of ‘lost and found’ clothing this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment