Sunday 17 May 2020

Pandemic response - Week 9

There’s supposed to an announcement made sometime this week about the status of school for the rest of this school, which would basically be for the month of June.  Are we going back or not, and if yes, what in the world might be the rules and protocols we’ll have to follow?  Many people think ‘no’ we won’t go back, and I can certainly understand why they think that ... but at the same time as we’re definitely looking at re-opening some businesses and restarting the economy, you can’t send people back to work without providing school.

Not wanting to spend too much time mulling over things I don’t have any control over, this week will be more remote working, to the best of my abilities, and more photos from my walks.  Hope you’re continuing to enjoy.

Not much sun today, and another day of bitterly cold temperatures!  Like every good Canadian I am not impressed!  I definitely needed my coat, hat and gloves for today’s walk!

I know I’ve given you little bits of pieces of the history of Bayfield but here for those interested in the official “Founding of Bayfield” which happened in 1832, plaque.





I happened to be down at the pier at the right time to see some dredging work being done.










 I’m not sure why these peanuts were there, but with these blue jays around they won’t last long 

I absolutely did not set this up - it was there and waiting when I got to the beach


 More dredging work being done, this time in the river.  Perhaps a hopeful sign that boats will soon be allowed back in the water?





Another one of our ‘green streets’

 Unfortunately most of our magnolia trees have been ‘kissed by frost’ over the past few days - that’s what turns the flower buds brown and they’re not likely to bloom now.  On some more protected trees however some of the buds might be okay...but we’ll need some warmer temperatures soon.


Hopefully these gates will be open soon!





Same hat - several weeks later in a whole new location...but still lost.


This was a good week for finding lots of rock friends!






I was up early this morning - right at sunrise actually - and there goes one of the fishing boats



I would say that this stake isn’t really doing the job it’s supposed to




Outside the local ice-cream shoppe...it’s not exactly ice-cream weather yet but I sure do hope it gets to open!

 No boats in the marina yet but hopefully soon - we’re starting Phase 1 of reopening next week!

Cormorants...more and more...

These are trilliums - Ontario’s provincial flower.  Illegal to pick but not to photograph.


I don’t know if it was gone on purpose or not but the yellow caution tape at the entrance to the park was gone today and I have to admit, it was really nice to see!









 The pier re-opened today - apparently it’s considered part of the marina which could open this weekend, but isn’t ready yet.  Soon though.
Here I am on the pier

No boats in the water yet...except for these hearty - foolish - two!





 The collection continues to grow

Private parks are allowed to reopen this weekend but public parks are still closed



This is a holiday weekend for us - sort of signifying the start of summer!





 An impromptu, random car parade - because this is Bayfield and it was fun!


Built in 1850, The Hunter House was originally a barn, then a boarding house, doctor’s office, and lastly a private residence.




 The former Roman Catholic Church - now a private residence.

Lots of work happening down at the marina to get it ready to open

No action yet...

Along comes the crew and up comes the pile anchor

And off it goes to the next space

Up comes the next piling, and then it gets hammered into place

Another grey and cloudy day, but I do like the blue before the storm

I started this blog post anticipating an announcement this week about the status of school but it didn’t come.  No new news —- hopefully next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment