Sunday 3 May 2020

Pandemic response - Week 7

It was announced on the weekend that schools will stay closed until at least May 31st, which means at least 5 more weeks of ‘learning from home’, or ‘remote learning’, or ‘online learning’, whatever you choose to call it.  I guess too, assuming I can keep it up, at least 5 more weeks of these weekly blog posts too!
Given that, I’ve decided to not necessarily break these posts down into separate walks, but simply to post photos from that week.  Understandably, it doesn’t matter whether I’m ‘at home’ in Toronto or ‘at home’ in Bayfield, there’s a limited amount of territory I have available when I go walking given that all walks have to start and end at home...for the purposes of ‘facilities’ if nothing else.  As I’m walking the same routes repeatedly there are some days when I feel I haven’t really seen anything ‘new’ or photo-worthy, other days when I’m obviously more inspired.

This week however started on a very unusual note —- this little ‘present’ appeared in one of my garden beds overnight!!  I still am not 100% certain what it is, but after significant Google research by myself and several neighbours we are thinking that it might be a Canada Goose egg.  There certainly are no shortage of geese around, especially this year with far fewer humans out and about, but how it got into my garden is anyone’s guess.  Canada Geese will randomly abandon their eggs - if there are too many, if they know they are infertile, etc., and they will move them to locations other than the main nest with the other eggs but still... my garden?


As you’ve seen from the photos I’ve seen lots of little spring ground flowers, and many crocuses and daffodils in bloom but finally today - my first tulips!!!



The water wasn’t totally still so this isn’t the best - but I do like capturing reflections

And speaking of Canada Geese - there were no shortage of them out and about today!!  I think they too were enjoying a warmer, finally sunny, day!




Still lots of bare tree branches, but in a few places I can see the new leaves just starting





This is one of my most favourite fences

Passed by this magnolia tree today - can’t wait to see it in full bloom.  Not too many more days now!





I clearly got too close to this little chickadee’s nest...as it flew in and out and all round my head repeatedly!!!



 So many different bark textures

Cedar and pine growing intertwined - so very Canadian

 How many times have I walked along this path and never seen this hidden staircase

Or this little bird feeder hidden in here



Can you see him?  Our beautiful red cardinals never let anyone get close!

It was a very grey, cloudy day today, but every now and then the horizon would clear! 






 Some new little ground flowers I’ve never seen before




 Very baby maple leaves






Here I am, out for my walk









No comments:

Post a Comment