Sunday 12 April 2020

Pandemic response - Week 4

Week # 4 of physically distancing / self-isolating ourselves...and restrictions in Toronto are tightening.  

Very near to me is Mount Pleasant Cemetery and I know that some people might think ‘yuck, walking in a cemetery is creepy’ but I actually love it!  I find it incredibly calm and peaceful.  Mount Pleasant cemetery occupies over 200 acres of land and was established in 1876.  It is one of Canada’s most historic cemeteries and was declared a National Historic Site in 2000.  It has kilometres of roadways and walking paths, interspersed with fountains, statues, botanical gardens and rare and distinctive trees.  It is the final resting place of approximately 170, 000 persons and contains remarkable architecture amongst its many monument.   It is also the final resting place of many prominent Canadians including former prime minister William Lyon Mackenzie King; Canada’s first female surgeon, Jennie Smillie-Robinson; popular Métis artist Youngfox; and renowned pianist Glenn Gould.
My thinking was that I would put together a whole blog post of photos taken entirely in Mount Pleasant cemetery but unfortunately on the weekend, due to further actions taken by the city to enforce physical distancing, the gates to the cemetery are now closed ☹️  Not only am I disappointed because I can’t do the blog post I had planned, but also because that was really the only large green space located within walking distance of my house.  When time permits I will still look to get in my car and drive to other parks and walking trails located not to far away, but with the parking lots at all of them now closed too that obviously makes parking more of a challenge.  And the other reality is that with no public washrooms open now either, one has to carefully plan ones walks (or any time away from the house) because I have to be home again when the need arises!

Although I can’t put together a full blog post any longer, over the past few weeks I had started to accumulate a couple of photos that I had taken when I was allowed inside the cemetery and I’ll share them first this week.

Mackenzie King was Canada’s longest serving prime minister, holding office in three non-consecutive terms for a total of 21 years and 154 days (1921-1926, 1926-1930, 1935-1948)

Alexander Muir was the composer of  The Maple Leaf Forever which he wrote in 1867 to celebrate the Confederation of Canada.

Hart Massey’s mausoleum.  The Massey family is well known for manufacturing farm equipment (Massey Ferguson) and Hart Massey also built Massey Hall, a concert venue in Toronto.


And now the gates are closed...

WALK # 1

Is it one or two?


Empty benches looking at empty tennis courts





WALK # 2
Although I might not have quite as easy access to parks, walking trails and big green spaces as I did in the previous few weeks, I am still incredibly fortunate.  For as long as I can still go out for a walk for no purpose other than ‘going for a walk’ I am grateful.  I also live in a beautiful, old, established neighbourhood, with magnificent trees, houses, architecture, etc., and so I’m hopeful that, even if I’m having to repeat some of my routes now, I will still be able to find a few things of interest every time I go out.  My neighbourhood is also filled with children and to see the signs of what they’re doing during these extraordinary times can’t help but bring a smile to your face.









I am also fortunate to live near the Beltline Trail here in Toronto.  In total it’s a 9kms biking and walking trail built on a former railway line. You’ll be able to see the seasons change in photos from the Beltline.

In some sections of the Beltline, people’s back yards are directly adjacent to the trail.  I love to see some of the creative ways that people have worked with and around Mother Nature with their fencing.





Hard to see, but this is a tree that has fallen over and is now regrowing with tonnes of little branches sprouting out from the old trunk.




I think this one might be the winner of my ‘found clothing’ collection!

WALK # 3 - showing off a bit of my neighbourhood







 A couple little splashes of purple





Friday today - and a change of scenery for the next few days as I have decided to go to my cottage.  There’s lots on the news asking people not to go to their cottages because of the strain it will put on more limited resources in smaller communities which I can totally understand, so I’m making sure I’m taking anything and everything I might need for my time there.  I won’t go to any stores and I can be just as ‘alone’ at the cottage as I am at my home...but with far nicer scenery!


WALK # 4








 Coming up...and in full bloom


In dry-dock and waiting to be put in the water

Lucky timing - all the fishing boats are in the harbour





But despite the beauty there’s still the reminders of the very real difficulties



Another sure fire sign of spring - our robins
  
 This is definitely a deluxe purple martin house, or maybe I should say ‘condo’.  It appears that only the first floor units are occupied so far

I have no idea who Ray is - but I hope he had a happy birthday

Physical distancing at the cottage

For the first time on any of my walks I didn’t find one single item of lost clothing so I think I’m going to have to go with something different for my walks here.  As I was walking today, something that I noticed that is a real reflection of Bayfield would be all the different types of fences and gates that can be found around properties.  That being said, I know this on isn’t necessarily the most ‘unique’ at all, but the house in behind it sure is!



WALK # 5

 Physical distancing on one of Bayfield’s newest streets.  And what are we watching?  Well, pipes and drums of course - what else would there be in a community of about 800 people in the middle of a pandemic.  Bringing a little cheer on a weekly basis.



And here I thought the purple martin house I saw yesterday was a deluxe model.  Look what I saw today, nearly hidden in the bushes.


No, water levels have never been this high...nor do I know where this fellow came from!




And to end another week, we can’t forget what today is.  Happy Easter everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment