Friday 11 July 2014

Nunavut Day in Iqaluit

I have to admit that I didn't actually know that July 9th was Nunavut Day but it was an excellent day to be in Iqaluit and see the town really come alive with pride and spirit.

On July 9, 1993, following the passing of the 1982 plebiscite on the question of the division of the Northwest Territories, the Parliament of Canada passed the Nunavut Act, establishing the territory of Nunavut, to come into operation sometime in the future.  On April 1, 1999, Nunavut became a legally distinct territory from the Northwest Territories, coming into being as a territory on this date.  The following year, in 2000, 'Nunavut Day' was celebrated on April 1, however, it was felt that the 1993 Nunavut Land Claims Agreement had greater significance to the people of Nunavut, so the holiday was moved to July 9th the following year.
2014 celebrated the 15th Anniversary of Nunavut and the 21st Anniversary of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement - and Iqaluit was a great place to be.

It seemed like everyone who lives in Iqaluit came out for the community BBQ




It was also a chance for me to try "country food", the name that Inuit use to describe traditional foods.  At the left side of my plate (the darkest red meat at 9 o'clock) is caribou, beside it (the rectangular shaped meat) is muktuk (whale skin and blubber) and at the top (at 12 o'clock) is arctic char.  I'm thinking you can probably recognize the biscuit.



I have to admit that I didn't eat all of what was on my plate but I absolutely did try everything - much to the admiration of some Iqalummiut who were sitting with me.  Although it wasn't on the menu for lunch today I also had an opportunity later in the day to try seal.  (Knowing that some of my photos might be upsetting to some people I won't post any here, but one of the events that occurred today was a seal skinning competition - and then afterwards everyone was invited to eat the meat.)

As part of the day's celebration there was a display of more traditional Inuit clothing and lifestyles, most of which are still worn and practiced today, especially by Inuit people living outside of Nunavut's 'urban' areas.







Even for those living in Iqaluit, today was a day for showcasing some of their more traditional clothing.  Some of them were absolutely amazing!!







The end of the day today saw me back at the airport as my time in Iqaluit was ending.  



A few last looks at Frobisher Bay



This is the very northern end of Frobisher Bay



Next stop - Rankin Inlet.





The view from where I'm staying in Rankin Inlet

No comments:

Post a Comment