Sunday 4 July 2021

Pandemic response - Week 68

It was a bit of everything for me this week.  Walks around my neighbourhood, walking to see friends, coffee in a park, and I went down to the waterfront one day.  Weather-wise it was an okay week - a good amount of sunshine and a couple of flash thunderstorms too.





Back to famous Canadians buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery-this time Glenn Gould (1932-1982) who is buried here with his parents. Gould was one of the best known, and most celebrated pianists of the 20th century.  This Sitka spruce tree, planted in his honour, was specifically chosen because its wood is often used to make sounding boards in pianos.


Every time I walk by this house I notice it - I love the ivy.


Just coming out of a thunderstorm - the sun was valiantly trying.


Is this not the most perfect Cheryl garden?!





This week a couple of my walks saw me walking on some of the many bridges I usually walk under when I’m walking in the ravine system, so here’s a birds-eye view looking down into parts of a ravine and on a trail I’ve walked before.









July 1st was this week - Canada Day.  Recent events, the finding of hundreds of unmarked graves on the grounds of former residential schools, means that this year’s Canada Day is being marked with reflection more than celebration.  Yesterday another 182 gravesites were found at another school in British Columbia.







‘Twas Summer, many a twig, many a leaf I made. And I kept growing new leaves all the time, to keep you in the shade.  Now Fall has come, the songbirds all have gone.  And I’m shedding my leaves, to keep you in the sun.’







John Cox Cottage, built in 1807, is the oldest known house in Toronto still used as a residence, and it still resides on its original site.  It’s well hidden behind a very thick hedge (I’m sure the current owners have done that on purpose) - I had to find a little opening through the leaves to take this picture.

The City of Toronto bought these 119 acres of land east of the Don River in 1856.  It became Riverdale Park in 1884 and how now been a site for sport and leisure year-round for over a century.

I thought this was a very interesting use for an old tree stump.





This unexpected storm quickly ended my time in the park.  The thunder was rumbling while I rushed for home…and I just made it before it poured!


Can you see me - taking this photo?






Where is the sky and where is the building?








Can you find the tree?


I’m back at the cottage!!  The water is a lot warmer…and it was crystal clear tonight!
Too hazy for a real sunset but I still find the colours beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment