Sunday 15 November 2020

Pandemic response - Week 35

Big change for me this week - I went back to work!  I have to say doing so certainly wasn’t my original plan, but no one twisted my arm either.  There is a definite need, especially this year, and in some ways I think I’m looking forward to it giving a purpose and structure to my days again for a little while.  I’ve committed to 6 weeks which will take me to the winter holidays (Dec. 18).


High Park is Toronto’s largest public park featuring many hiking trails, sports facilities, diverse vegetation, a beautiful lakefront, a zoo, a children’s playground, greenhouses, picnic areas, and plenty of squirrels and ducks.  High Park was opened to the public in 1876 and is based on a bequest of land from John George Howard to the City of Toronto.  It spans 161 hectares with significant natural parts of the park being classified as provincial Areas of Natural and Scientific a Interest.





Back on my favourite Beltline Trail - and you can see the seasons changing here.



The Leslie Street Spit is a man-made headland which extends for about 5 kms out into Lake Ontario.  The spit is the result of 5 decades of lakefilling by the Toronto Port Authority.  It was conceived as an extension to Toronto Harbour and has evolved into a largely passive recreation area.  Naturalization had not been planned but the process is now actively managed by the Toronto Region Conservation Authority. A large portion of it is classified as an Environmentally Sensitive Area (ESA) and is recognized as an Important Bird Area (IBA) by Nature Canada, with more than 300 species of birds having been identified here.















I couldn’t find a good sight line to the sunset but the colours in the sky were still lovely.







No comments:

Post a Comment