Tuesday 2 June 2020

Pandemic response - Week 11

Well the end of this week is going to bring about a big change for me as I’ve been told that I’m expected to be working on site starting next week.  That is of course going to mean a move back to Toronto for me...and then having to get used to a whole new work routine again.  I don’t think my actual work is going to change that much, and I must admit I’m not happy thinking about the fact that I’ll now have to be doing it from the solitude of my office in the school, as opposed to being here, or even at my home in Toronto—but I get it that it’s my job.  And as we get to the last few weeks of the school year, although kids will not be back in the building at all, I know that both staff and parents are going to want in to get their belongings.  I can see being on site while people are in the building, and then of course it will be nice to have access to equipment in the office for when we’re sending home end of year report cards to 400+ families.  Each one is four pages - not sure I would want to be printing them from home!

It was a very eclectic week weather-wise this week.  The first three days were like the middle of summer - lots of beautiful sunshine but temperatures in the high twenties and low thirties, with a humidex value one day of 39 degrees C!  Two weeks previous it snowed!  Welcome to Canada.


I think there’s as much pine cone as there is tree.


Thank you to our recycling team to make sure this didn’t get lost 

 If you look back on photos you’ll see some close up shots of these buds on their way to opening...and very nearly now in full bloom




Back in week #5 I took a photo of my most favourite row of trees here in the village.  
Here’s that same row of trees now







It was a very hot day today so I had a thought that I might go swimming...it was painfully cold.  The lake is about 10 degrees Celsius




I went to the local nursery today to get some begonias to plant - a couple of photos along the way.






 My favourite cherry tree again - pretty much in full bloom now.


We grow basketball hoops in our trees here!

The Albion (with the white awnings) and beside it The Black Dog are both restaurants here in the village.  Sad to see them without any cars parked in front.
In the early 1840s a one-storey building was built, in the second storey added in 1856...and The Albion has been a Bayfield hotel/restaurant for nearly 165 years.  Beside it, Edwards Cash Store was built in 1850 and was a general store for the first ninety years.




A few more of our provincial flower - Trilliums








 The sun tried hard but couldn’t quite penetrate the cloud bank tonight.  Still beautiful though!




Some beautiful colours in the water today






 And today is only a medium wavy day?


A few more boats but still lots of empty slips

I love the moon today - in mid-afternoon






It’s obviously been a long time since mail was delivered here









And so draws to an end my time here.  Tomorrow I head home to Toronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment