Saturday 12 August 2017

Purple Quest - the real reason for this trip

So for those of you who are wondering, here is the magazine article that started this whole trip in the first place:  https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/toronto/travel/these-gorgeous-purple-sand-beaches-are-canadas-best-kept-secrets

Now it's pretty clear that it's a beautiful, but enhanced, photo in the magazine article, so I knew that wasn't what I was going to see but at the same time I was hoping I wouldn't be disappointed.  And trust me - I wasn't at all!!

My day started at Candle Lake Provincial Park in central/north Saskatchewan.  Although the landscape is still basically flat, travelling north it changed dramatically from the stereotypical prairie fields to northern boreal forest, with lakes scattered around.  And I was here at Candle Lake specifically because of one particular beach found on this lake.









This is the boat I had to use to get to the purple sand beach, which was about 12 miles across the lake from where I could enter the Provincial park


 This little guy, and several of his friends were also enjoying the wonderful beach

 This proves that I was really there - my purple toes on the purple sand

The sand wasn't the only wonderful purple thing in my life today - the Saskatoon berries were just coming into season, they were all along the beach shoreline, and they were delicious!




Just on the other side of the Saskatoon bushes was this pretty little lagoon oasis



Eventually though I had to leave my purple sand paradise, so I spent a bit more time exploring the rest of Candle Lake before taking the boat back to the marina.




No comments:

Post a Comment