Thursday 14 January 2016

Further south, wines and more wildlife

After leaving Bendalong my next "home" was Narooma, further south along the New South Wales Coast.

Never one to pass up an invitation to a winery here in Australia, I can now say that I've been to Tilba Winery, a little winery south of Narooma just outside a lovely little village called Tilba Tilba - and no, that's not a mistake on my part - the village is called Tilba Tilba (same name twice).



Dinner tonight was something I wouldn't very often (if ever) get at home:



Four Winds is a "nature's concert hall" comprised of two facilities.  Windsong Pavilion is a purpose built, indoor recital hall and The Sound Shell is a natural amphitheatre.  I had the opportunity to go and see a performance here - a real treat.

Windsong Pavilion

The Sound Shell

One of the friends I was staying with is a bee keeper.  Unfortunately due to my allergies I wasn't able to make the rounds with him while I was there but I'm sure that would have been an amazing experience.  And let me tell you - that was definitely the freshest honey I've ever tasted!!


Blueberries are in season now too, and so a couple of hours spent picking blueberries was also on the agenda while I was here in Narooma.


 No folks - blueberries, not grapes

The fruits of our labours

Although the sun shone brilliantly every day I was here, and temperatures hovered in the high twenties, for some reason those didn't seem to be great beach conditions for Aussies.  Although this Canadian thought it was fine for walks along several beaches, and many swims along the way, as you can see I was, for the most part, one of the only people who thought so.





One of the things that makes Narooma such a special place is the wildlife that's around.  Narooma is built right along the coast as well as on an inlet (Wagonga Inlet) so it has the advantage of both the surf and calmer waters.  Pelicans and other sea birds are common sightings, as are sting rays in the inlet waters and seals which will come up and play on the rocks of the wharf.

 Looking out over Wagonga Inlet



Wagonga Inlet, looking out towards the ocean

The mouth into the inlet

 Naturally carved into one of the rocks along the beach is a hole that looks very much like... Australia

Cockatoos

Purple Swamp Hens

 Sting rays






Just to give you an idea of how close they come - in the background is the main, netted, swimming beach in the inlet and in the bottom right corner is a seal on the rocks







3 comments:

  1. We are loving the stories and the photos. We especially liked the roos. Keep the news coming. It makes you feel not so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are loving the stories and the photos. We especially liked the roos. Keep the news coming. It makes you feel not so far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Lisa! And really, it's not that far away!

      Delete