Sunday 17 January 2016

A bit of time in Canberra

I've just had a few days in Canberra where I enjoyed some lovely coffees, lunches and dinners while catching up with friends.  So not a tremendous amount to share in the way of stories or adventures as most of my time was spent in restaurants and friends' houses but still, I did often have my camera with me, so of course a few photos were taken.

The National Arboretum in Canberra is a 250-hectare arboretum created after the area was burned out as a result of bushfires in 2001and 2003.  In 2004, the Government of the Australian Capital Territory held a nationwide competition for an arboretum, which was to be part of the recovery from the bushfires. The winning design proposed 100 forests and 100 gardens focusing on threatened, rare, and symbolic trees from around the world.  Planting on the site began in 2005, and includes ceremonial trees planted by visiting heads of government and ambassadors.  The site was officially opened in February 2013.




One piece of public art at the arboretum is an artwork created of entirely found objects depicting an eagle on a nest.



I really couldn't be in Canberra, if even briefly, without going to at least one of the fabulous museums or galleries they have here - especially since all of them are free!  So this time I went to the National Gallery of Australia which has a special exhibit on right now showcasing the works of Tom Roberts who was a prominent Australian artist and a key member of the Heidelberg School.  It was an excellent exhibit - and the other thing that I love about the National Gallery here is its outdoor sculpture garden which contains about 20 masterpieces which I absolutely love.


"Cones" by Bert Flugelman

"Angel of the North" by Antony Gormley
(and in the background you can see the National Carillon)

"Virginia" by Clement Meadmore


"Earn" by Thanakupi, 
and in the background you can see George Baldessin's "Pear-version number 2"

A brief stop at Parliament House as well and I headed straight for the roof which has a lovely view of the front grounds down to Old Parliament House, then across Lake Burley Griffin and up Anzac Parade to the Australian War Memorial at the base of Mount Anslie.



An added bonus of my time in Canberra was that I got to meet "Jasmine", the most recent addition to the household of the friend where I'm staying.  Jasmine is a 7 week old Burmese kitten who is absolutely gorgeous and tonnes of fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment