Wednesday 28 November 2012

The Murray River

Despite the fact that is was about 37 degrees yesterday, and it's tipping 40 degrees today, I did still manage to get out for a bit of a walk to check out the "mighty" Murray River which forms the border between Albury and Wodonga (and a good protion of the border between the states of New South Wales and Victoria).

The Murray River is Australia's longest river, running for 2375 kms.  It originates in the Australian alps then flows northwest across Australia's inland plains until it turns south for its final 500 kms or so in South Australia where it eventually reaches the Indian Ocean.

Despite its length, the Murray River carries only a small fraction of the water of similar sized rivers in other parts of the world and there can be a great variability in its flow --- particularly during conditions of extreme drought.

I know that over the course of my time here in Australia you'll be seeing several photos of the Murray River as my travels are going to take me to it at a few different places.  It's quite amazing how different the river looks depending on where you are.
Here it is in the Albury/Wodonga area:




And these are a couple of little 'friends' I passed along the riverbank, like me they were out enjoying the beautiful weather.



And this is another reason why I love the Albury/Wodonga area so much --- the eucalyptus trees (a.k.a. gum trees), particularly along the river bank.  They are absolutely beautiful!


I'm leaving Wodonga tomorrow, and heading to visit friends who live just outside of Melbourne in an area known as the Yarra Valley.  I'm not sure about what my access to WiFi will (or won't) be, so if there aren't any posts for a while you'll know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment