Wednesday 25 January 2023

Out and About in Sarasota - Part 1

My first ‘international’ trip since 2019!!!  Ok - in many ways going to the United States doesn’t really qualify as an international trip, but it is my first time outside of Canada since the summer of 2019, and certainly my first time since the pandemic started … so there’s definitely more than the usual amount of excitement about this trip.  I’m off to see friends in Sarasota, Florida.

Although winter in Canada hasn’t been unusually cold, or even particularly ‘hard’ (to this point anyway), it has been exceptionally GREY!!  The day that I left to come to Sarasota was the 34th day in a row of overcast skies!  Words like: dull, grey, dreary, cloudy, overcast, dismal, etc., are a part of our daily vocabulary now, and throw in a bit of rain or snow (depending on the temperature) on occasion and you have a weather pattern that is quickly becoming quite depressing.  So yes, some warmer weather on this trip would be appreciated (when is it not during a Canadian winter), what I’m really hoping for is some sunshine, regardless of temperatures.

Look everyone - there is blue sky out there, you just have to travel above the clouds to see it!


Landing in Tampa, where my friends met me and took me the rest of the way to Sarasota.

A stop for lunch in Ybor City on the way.  Ybor City is an historic neighbourhood just northeast of downtown Tampa.  It was founded in the 1880s by Vincent Martinez-Ybor and other cigar manufacturers and populated by thousands of immigrants, mainly from Cuba, Spain and Italy.  For the next 50 years, workers in Ybor City’s cigar factories rolled hundreds and millions of cigars annually.

The Italian Club in Ybor City was built in 1918 and continues to be the social hub of the large Italian community in Tampa.

The wild chicken population that currently resides in Ybor City are direct descendants of the chickens that lived in the backyards of the neighbourhoods earliest resident’s over 100 years ago.  Ybor City’s chickens crossing the streets have become a welcome sign for those who live, work and visit the area.

Made it to my friends’ place … I can see many hours by their pool in the upcoming days!

Queen Emma Lily

On the Ringling Bridge, crossing over the Sarasota Bay, on my way to Lido Key, then across Longboat Key, and finally to Anna Maria Island for the day.

Look - my shadow…in sunshine!!

First stop - Bradenton Beach

Ghost crabs joining me for my walk along the beach

Then lunch … the view was clearly hard to tolerate!

And then back to the beach again.

It clouded over later in the afternoon so no sunset to speak of but still, I could have this or the grey, dull skies of Toronto so I am not complaining.

At the very north end of Anna Marie Island, at Bean Point Beach, I was joined by a Great Blue Heron also out enjoying the evening.

I tried to convince friends in Ontario that this might be snow on the ground … they weren’t buying it!

Powder Puff Mimosa bush - I love the flowers!  Reminds me of truffula trees in The Lorax!

This looks a bit more blue in the photo than it actually was - it was a glorious amethyst purple colour!  Definitely a place for me.

Another day, another beach!  Today finds me on Siesta Key and at Siesta Beach.  When it comes to white, powdery sand, nothing compares with Siesta Key!!  In fact, Siesta Key’s Crescent Beach was scientifically determined to the “The World’s Finest, Whitest Sand” … why … because of the quartz.  The sand consists of 99% pure quartz grains, ultimately derived from the southern Appalachian Mountains.  Over millennia, sand grains were carried by rivers into the Gulf and south along Florida’s coast.  Those quartz grains are very fine, without any coral or shell fragments, which results in sand with a soft, flour-like texture.  It’s clean, it’s dazzling white, and it feels like icing sugar!!  It feels soft and cool to bare feet, even in the hottest Florida sun - and that means great beach walking!

And good to lie down and read a book on too!

It’s winter and yes the ocean is ‘refreshing’ (17 degree Celsius in fact), but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity for a swim…and a sunny, warm day helped too!  Didn’t find out until after getting home that night that there was a rip current statement in effect for that day … I did think the current was rather strong!


Walked to the very north end of Siesta Key Beach.  That would be a very nice place to have a house!!



Tide’s on the way out now

The ‘beach police’.

As I said, it is ‘winter’, even if today was 26C!  There was a good wind though, so best to wear your polar fleece and toque when you go for a walk along the beach.

I found this demonstration rather on the amusing side.  Can’t say for sure you wouldn’t see something like this in Canada…but I know I never have!

Just a bit more proof that Trump supporters are still very much alive and strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment