Sunday 3 April 2022

Pandemic response - Weeks 104 to 107

I started this post at week 104 thinking that might be the last post I did, or at least in this format of ‘pandemic response’.  After all, 104 weeks was exactly 2 years since I started - and 2 years of pandemic restrictions!!  But then I somehow never got around to posting at the end of that week, so then it became week 105 … and then in subsequent weeks I went on a couple of walks outside of just my neighbourhood so that meant a few photos that I thought were share-worthy.  So although I will definitely still continue to post, I think rather than having it as a recounting of my life during the pandemic (and yes, also serving the purpose of journaling for me), I think that I will likely be posting less frequently moving forward.  When I go somewhere new or different for a walk I will post that, and as we approach a new month (soon to be April 2022) maybe I’ll do a once a month posting of my day-to-day life … after all, even if it’s just my phone, I’ll still be out and about and walking with a ‘camera’ and you never know what I’m going to see.

Mid March and another snowfall, mixed with some freezing rain.  Although it happens just about every year, by March we’re (Canadians) none too happy with winter-like weather now!  We’re hungry for signs of spring by this point.





Sunrise - looking both east and west.

I went down to Grand Bend today just for something to do and to check out the beach there.  The beach is bigger here, but the snow and ice looks pretty much the same.
























For some reason the shadows today caught my eye.




Not a great sunset by any means, but my last one for a little while - heading back to Toronto tomorrow.

And last sunrise for a little while too.  Not sure when I’ll be back - but chances are good that the snow and ice will be gone…or at least significantly less!!

The weather is no less ‘lovely’ in Toronto either.  Snow and more snow seems to be the norm for here too … enough already!



We got enough snow today - mid-March - that the city sent out the salt trucks onto the side streets and as you can see, people were shovelling again!





I went downtown a couple of times and found some new street art.






Canadians are hardy!!  Snow covered tables and benches aren’t going to stop us, not when outdoor dining is the only option during a pandemic!




OK - I’ve seen lots of things caught in bushes over these past two years, but these were definitely unexpected!

And still more lonely Christmas decorations.


Today was what I call a ‘fluke’ day with the weather - all of a sudden we have a day when temperatures are supposed to get well into the double digits (positive) so I decided to take advantage of that, and possible sunshine, and go and explore a new walking trail.  East of Toronto to check out a new section of the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail.  It wasn’t nearly so warm right by the lake, and the warmer air resulted in a lot of fog - but still made for nice walking.








I have no idea if this is true or not but it does make for a interesting story.

A downey woodpecker

I started to notice of few of these brightly coloured bird feeders along the trail I was walking…


… and then I turned the corner and came across Birdhouse Row!















Brave - or stupid!  No wetsuit and freezing cold water!


This is where I turned around to get back to my car…so the next time I come out here this is the trail I’ll follow.

And this is what happens to our outdoor ice rinks when you have a fluky warm day!










This made me smile - a “Charlie Brown Christmas tree” waiting for the compost truck…with a lone decoration.

Just in case it’s needed while out walking…












Built in 1876 as a private residence, this gorgeous house in downtown Toronto then became a convent, and is now a community centre offering transitional housing for women.


A very old, sad, Christmas tree.

The CN Tower just barely peeking out through the clouds.

Who’s that in the mirror?

An art project called “Red Embers”.  The cedar gates are situated between the land and the water and the banners float above the pathway, offering healing through the sound of their jingles and movement of the canvas in the wind.

Not nearly as warm, but another sunny day, so back to the lake I headed.


Mallard ducks

I wasn’t the only person enjoying the sun and the sound of the waves.

Good Canadians - shorts and winter coats!


“Winter Stations” is an international design competition held annually in Toronto.  Participants are tasked with designing temporary winter art installations which incorporate existing lifeguard towers on one of Toronto’s beaches.  The theme for 2022 was ‘Resilience: the ability to withstand adversity and recover from difficulties’.

“One Canada”

“Enter Face”

“Introspection”

“The Hive”

“S’winter Station”

“Wildlife-guard Chair”


Wood ducks - not as common as the mallards and very pretty!


Lingering cold days mean that this little lake/pond is still frozen.





Colborne Lodge (built in 1837) and the surrounding 165-acre property was deeded to the City of Toronto in 1873.  This deed included an agreement that the park remain ‘for the free use, benefit and enjoyment of the citizens of Toronto and it be called High Park’.  Additional land was purchased by the City in 1876 and 1930, expanding the park to the current 399 acres.



Established in 1893, High Park Zoo is Canada’s oldest zoo, originally housing a deer pen and an aviary.
Emus - the second largest flightless birds in the world.

Llamas - members of the camel family.

Yaks - maybe enjoying not having to navigate the mountains of the Himalayas.

Bison - the largest land mammal in North America.



We’re just into April now and I thought I’d end this post with some signs of spring!  They’re few and far between yet this year, and very late, but they are starting!
My first robin sighting!

Possibly going to be irises?

Looks like a tulip.

Snowdrops - always the first to appear.

And here comes a daffodil.



The magnolia buds thought briefly about unfurling but when the cold and snow returned they closed up tight again.









And then we still get this!!
Hopefully not for much longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment