Sunday 6 February 2022

Pandemic response - Week 99

Another week starting with a lovely sunrise.  Even though I know this is facing west, I love the colours in the winter and the subtle pinks and purples at this time in the morning.  This was another transition week for me - back to the city again for a while.

If the weather forecast was to be believed, I knew at the beginning of the week that we were looking at another multi-day storm system heading our way, so I took advantage of a couple of sunny days to go for some long walks and to get to a couple of places I hadn’t been to yet this winter.

Not going to see any wide open expanses of white snow in the city - so enjoying it while I have it.





Inland along the the Bayfield River.  Hadn’t been here yet this winter so this was one of my ‘new’ destinations this week, to check it out before leaving.

I have to say I was a bit surprised that I was the first person to be ‘breaking ground’ in this area, or certainly in the past little while anyway.  I thought for sure some cross country skiers or snowshoers would have been here enjoying all the fresh snow.  Other than one set of animal tracks that were clearly a few days old though, I was it.

Clear signs of ‘beaver’ activity though!!  Here’s the trail where the beaver dragged the small tree they gnawed off towards the river.


Looking from upriver back towards our new bridge.  Construction is nearing completion - testing it all out now and we hope to be driving on it this spring.

Hard to see in these small photos, but you might be able to spot the group of people out fishing on the ice today.




And some last photos of the lake and ice.  All depending on weather and when I get back I may or may not be taking more photos of ice formations.





Took advantage of the beautiful weather today to go over to the north shore - so this is looking at the south shore pier, the one I’m usually on.

And here is the north shore pier.




















My last sunset for a little while.  Time to head back to the city.

And last sunrise at the lake.

First walk back in the city and it seems that our snowbanks here are ‘growing’ water bottles.

One little Christmas ball all by itself.  Whoever put it there must have forgotten about it.




While I had been at the lake, Toronto had a pretty major snow storm event, with upwards of 50 cms falling  within only a few hours.  As you can imagine, that amount of snow in a highly urban area can pose some challenges, especially getting roads cleared and then where to put the snow.  Even now, over two weeks later, many smaller, residential streets simply have one lane for driving down the middle of the road, with snowbanks and plowed in cars lining the sides.  It makes for ‘interesting’ driving - lots of patience is needed!!





I realized today that because I spent nearly all winter in Bayfield last year, I actually had never been walking in Mt. Pleasant Cemetery when it was completely covered in snow.  It has a very different feel in the winter - especially on a cloudy, not so lovely day!  Very, very, very quiet!!


















All you can see of a chair and what I think might be a sofa behind it?



A little bit of snow overnight, just enough to cover up all the dirty, black snow!  Add a little sunshine and it can actually look quite pretty.

As I’ve always said, one never knows what you mind find out walking.  Car bumper anyone?  Or maybe you’d prefer a snowplow blade?  The latter would be quite useful right now!

I’m very glad I don’t live in a high rise apartment, but I know that if I did live just a bit higher, I’d have a much better view of the sunsets we do get here in the city.  That said, I’ll enjoy what I can and just have to put up with the houses across the street in the photos.


A sunset like this over the lake would have been spectacular, but I still enjoyed it from my balcony.  Nice way to end the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment