Sunday 5 September 2021

Pandemic response - Weeks 76 and 77

I don’t know if my world is looking weary, or whether I’m looking at my world through eyes that are weary?  I suspect a bit of both - definitely a lot of the latter - and that’s why this blog post has been two weeks in coming.

Just this past Tuesday we finally had a break in the heat and humidity, so until then, in the middle of a string of days with temperatures in the high 30 and low 40 degrees, it was difficult to really do much walking.  I did get out every day, but simply couldn’t carry enough water with me to be out for much longer than about half an hour.  And because of COVID many/most fountains and water bottle refilling stations aren’t open.

The heat - and no rain - has also been hard on the gardens.  Most of the summer flowers are completely withered if not dead, and without any rain the plants that would usually start to flower towards the end of the summer season (and into the fall) haven’t yet.  So as I was doing what walking I could, everything was looking very tired, very much the same, and nothing really photo worthy.

In addition to the physical environment being tired - I know that I am too.  Getting tired of the same scenery, tired of restrictions, finding the lack of ability to travel frustrating…and still, despite everything, our COVID numbers, being fueled by the Delta variant, are sharply on the increase again!!  So I’m just trying to work that all through for myself - and I feel like I’m really going to need to ‘steel’ myself for another COVID winter.








 One thing that is definitely a good thing is that I’ve come back to Bayfield again for a little while.  Still hot here, and still no rain - so finding it hard to spot things to photograph - but at least having the lake and swimming helps with the hot, hot days.
Yup - my feet in my purple sand socks.

Friends of mine rented a cottage about 45 minutes north of Bayfield - so here’s a look at Lake Huron from that vantage point.




I love bulrushes (cattails), especially at this time of year as the seed heads start to disperse.



Finally - after nearly 18 months, there are two posters in the Bayfield Town Hall - Coming Events!  Both are for small concerts that are going to be held outdoors, so hopefully the weather will cooperate and it will be lovely to hear the music again!






I love this old tree trunk.  It’s probably about 10 metres tall and so wonderfully old and gnarled…and now growing again!






This was the first night since I’d been back - and really in weeks - that there had been any sort of a sunset.  The humidity during the day always translates to haze on the horizon in the evenings.  Even tonight it was too hazy to see the sun all the way to the horizon, but we were all happy to see the colouring for the bit of time we did. 

Pretty the next night too - but no red or orange colour tonight.

There’s always lots of foxes around the village but it’s not too usual to see them during the day.  This little kit/pup was very cute!

I went to an outdoor concert tonight - not at the Town Hall but at a local brewery / farm! Not sure if all the farm animals appreciated the music or not, but at one point the sheep were signing back-up!!  A new experience for the musician I’m sure!


The musician was Ron Sexsmith - a Canadian singer/songwriter - and this was my view for the beginning of the concert.  I say ‘the beginning’ because after about 45 minutes a lovely storm overtook, Ron stopped playing and we all hustled back to our cars.  The storm took a while to pass so many/most of the audience left, but kudos to Ron for taking the stage again an hour later and doing a few more songs for those of us who did wait it out!


And here’s where I was sitting after the storm.








Today was ‘day to see green bugs’.



Nope - it’s not a shark!!  It’s actually a blow-up chair / floatie thing, that sailed past in the wind.

Didn’t think there would be any sunset at all tonight and then the clouds lifted just that little bit.

First night without any haze at all on the horizon - in fact not a cloud to be seen.



Kiteboarding / Kitesailing - not usually seen here but conditions today were certainly really good.  Like the surfers I also see - the conditions tend to be better in the fall when winds are stronger and out of the northwest.







If this can’t be in a bathroom then I’m glad it’s found a new purpose!



These are not ladybugs, they are Asian lady beetles.  I have no idea why, but they were all over the beach today!!  I’ve never seen them congregate like this before.





I’m very glad to be ending a couple of ‘blah’ weeks with a sunset!  I’m not sure, don’t know if I’ll post every week, or every two weeks, for the next little while.  I think I’ll just see what I get up to and how life presents.

One last photo to end the week…can you see it?  It’s starting to happen - the leaves are beginning to change colour!  Goodbye to our second COVID summer…hello to our second COVID fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment