Saturday 1 February 2020

The Wild Atlantic Way - Part 1, to Clonakilty

Heading from Kinsale along the Wild Atlantic Way I wasn’t really sure how far I’d get.  If possible I was hoping to get to the Mizen Head Peninsula and see the lighthouse there...but I didn’t that far.  As you may have gathered, roads in Ireland aren’t designed for speed; that plus the fact that I stop often, take photos and meet people, meant that I really didn’t cover great distances at all.  In total I got as far as Baltimore...so the Mizen Head Peninsula remains on my ‘must visit’ list for my next trip to Ireland.

My first stop today was the headland known as the Old Head of Kinsale.  An early lighthouse was established here in the 17th century and it is the nearest point of land to where the RMS Lusitania was sunk in 1915.  Today the Old Head of Kinsale is popular with golfers who come to play on its 18-hole golf course that was opened in 1997.  However, since the golf course opened, access to the Old Head of Kinsale has been restricted to golfers and guests only, and there has been a long-running campaign for the restoration of public access!





For the rest of today I just drove along a beautiful scenic road enjoying the countryside and many beaches.  And as you can see from the photos I experienced a very typical Irish day in terms of weather; from beautiful sunshine at times to storms minutes later.

 Yes, this is a 2-lane road, with a speed limit of 100kms!












Courtmacsherry consists of a single long street on the southern shore of Courtmacsherry Bay, with thick woods on the rising ground behind


In the end I only got as far as Clonakilty today - a whole 40kms from Kinsale!!  Just too many beautiful places to stop and appreciate along the way.

Fondly known as “Clon”, Clonakilty’s bustling Main Street is lined with colourful traditional shop fronts with flowers and plants providing an additional splash of colour.  This market town serves as a hub for the scores of little coastal villages that surround it.  Clonakilty is famous for two things: it’s the birthplace of Irish Free State commander-in-chief Michael Collins; and it’s the home of the most famous black pudding in the country!!








 This was the view from my B&B in Clon

Can’t get much more traditional than this to end a day

No comments:

Post a Comment