Friday 3 June 2022

The Skerwink Trail

The Skerwink Trail is internationally recognized and ranking amongst the top 35 trails in North America and Europe.  This coastal trail offers magnificent views of the coastline and is well worth the effort!!  The weather was definitely not on my side as I set out to do the hike today - in fact I drove through pea soup fog getting to the trail, but I thought I’d go at least as far as the first coastal view lookout and see if I could see anything.  Although not a ‘picture perfect’ hiking day, and you’ll see a lot of grey and some fog in these photos, I did decide to hike the trail in completion.  The sun actually managed an appearance towards the end of my hike, and I was also rewarded with some time spent with a mother fox and her young kits (pups) along the way.

“Skerwink” is a local name for the shearwater, a pelagic seabird species that lives mainly offshore.













Port Rexton is way back there…












Looking over at the community of Trinity in the distance.




Dog Cove



Trinity on the left, Trinity East on the right.





Skerwink Rocks










Farm pond


Looking out over Trinity






Sam White’s Cove



See - there really was some sunshine for a minute or two!

My first glimpse of the fox family started with this little one.

Then a sibling…




And finally Mom came to join.


In total there were four kits but I couldn’t get all four in the same photo.  They were having such fun running around and playing.


No comments:

Post a Comment