Wednesday 1 June 2022

Finally - travelling again!! First stop, Elliston, Newfoundland.

I have decided it’s time to try out my travel legs again, so after the past two weeks of being super careful again about not putting myself in any possible COVID risk situations, I tested negative (still) and am actually getting on a plane!

Not a very big plane, as you can see, but still it’s a plane!

And with a roar of the engines, we’re up!


Looking down onto downtown Toronto, Toronto Island and on the right, Leslie Street Spit.

A little over two hours later and I’m now flying over Nova Scotia.

Not staying in Nova Scotia though, Halifax is just a stop-over.  Second flight of the day and an even smaller plane, on to…Gander, Newfoundland.
No photos of arriving into Gander unfortunately.  The clouds / fog was so low that we were almost on the ground before I could see anything.

First day in Newfoundland was really a travel day - from Gander to Elliston (which is just outside Bonavista).  Although disappointing, the weather forecast was for the clouds, rain and fog to stick around and unfortunately it did - so maybe not a bad thing after all that I had some driving to do today.  Knowing I didn’t need the full day for driving though, I went for a walk around a bit of Cobb’s Pond - which is really a little lake, but here in Newfoundland everything that isn’t the Atlantic Ocean is called a ‘pond’.



An incredibly well maintained boardwalk trail made walking in the rain more pleasurable than walking along a muddy trail would have been!

These bushes/trees are a bit schizophrenic - they seem to have both leaves and pine tree needles?



I love the lichens on the trees.







Made it to Elliston and went for a little walk along the shore before calling it a day.  Three days here and the weather didn’t get any better - grey, wet and WINDY!  Still, nothing beats the coast lines in Newfoundland!






Elliston is known as the Root Cellar Capital of the world and has claimed that title due to the more than 135 root cellars that exist in this small community.





St. Mary’s  Anglican church, in Elliston, built in 1872.









A bronze statue of father and son, Reuben and Albert John Crewe (from Elliston) - two of 251 Newfoundlanders (fathers, sons and husbands) who were lost in two separate sealing disasters in 1914.

The village of Elliston, population 315.

And this is the B&B that I stayed at, “Meems B&B” run by a wonderful couple!

1 comment:

  1. I love the rocky coast. I think we saw the root cellars last time.

    ReplyDelete